Just in time for Labor Day, here’s what’s been happening at the Zingtree labs this summer! With a new Task Manager, PDF capability for Document Nodes, renumber and merge trees, and some more notification options are the highlights, we’re really excited about the progress we’ve made over the last several weeks.
See all of our improvements since June 2018 below:
- Task Manager tool: Business Process Management, using Zingtree decision trees.
- Renumbering nodes: You can now renumber nodes using the new option in the Copy Tree tool.
- Combine trees: Make two trees into one using the new Merge Trees tool.
- PDF generation: Document Nodes can now create PDF files.
- History and Breadcrumbs: Embedded trees now have URL switches for embed_history or embed_breadcrumbs (various).
- Push Live update flag: For trees with Push Live, DEV trees with updates since last push live now show with a red icon in My Trees (thx Lasse).
- Event Log: See failed emails, login attempts and more from Account > Event Log.
- Simple SMS, email & Slack notifications: From new built-in Apps under Account > My Apps.
- Multiple apps: You can now have several apps/webhooks on a single node.
- Better receipts: Customer receipts now have a PDF download option.
- Erase variables: There’s now a Zingtree Erase Variables stock webhook (for Pharoah).
Updates and Minor Improvements
- Agent feedback comments on a LIVE tree now always go to DEV version of the tree (Ian M.).
- Preview now includes a feedback button (customer request).
- “Lookup credits” are now “Enhanced Usage” credits.
- Now shows “please wait” when loading traffic map (button clicks) report.
- Added “please wait” message to long tree loads.
- CSS templates now display white text in HTML <btn> tags (used in adding buttons to node contents).
- Preview tool shows back, restart button options.
- Added hint for webhook calls in the node editor.
- Uploads now go to uploads.zingtree.com instead of zingtree-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com.
- Doesn’t show “back” or “restart” on the starting node (Various customers requested this).
- Right-to-left (Hebrew) display for History bar looks better (for Tal).
- New WordPress plug-in 5.0 supports history, breadcrumbs.
- Reorganized My Apps page.
- Node labels in button choices in content node editor now use node titles (if available).
- Session Details report cleaned up.
- “Unknown” result label changed to “In Progress.”
- Drawing return-to links from tree nodes now supported in Designer.
- Content Node editor loads faster (thx Oliver).
- Multi-tree API calls sped up.
- Link control in the editor and new link nodes now defaults to “new tab” (Jonathan B.).
- Content editor no longer shows link option for Google, Facebook, Froala.
- Content editor links now have a tooltip option.
- Linking from LIVE to DEV tree now shows proper tree ID of DEV tree in session data.
- PNG export looks for invalid characters that can break it.
- PNG export is better at framing the content of the tree in the PNG.
- Copied trees now show current date and time for “last opened” – appears at top of the list in My Trees.
- Adding new merge variables in a pause and resume scenario now works consistently (Lasse).
- SSO author login errors no longer stay stuck unable to log in.
- Empty checkbox score no longer crashes form field data update (Jay H.)
- Double-quoted strings now work OK in Logic Node editor, Designer for Logic Nodes.
- Single quotes no long make Zapier transfers fail (Alok).
- Now says “new logic node” instead of “new scoring node” in an alert message when creating a new logic node.
- Doc node Continuation buttons now use theme.
- Searching linked trees used the wrong search when a fade transition was in effect.
- MailChimp API calls changed to always use a secure connection – now works properly again (Jonathan T.).
- Form field labels in the content editor no longer show HTML codes instead of single quotes (Kwame A.).
- Document node continuation button editor now shows email nodes correctly.
- Breadcrumbs and history restore to the same state when pause & resume is triggered after a ##treetag-any## or ##treetag-all## link is clicked (Tal).
- Custom CSS generator now ensures variables have values – won’t show error messages.
- Layout for Snapshots tool now better for action buttons on one line.
- Now allows multiple simultaneous people to use Agent Portal or Task Manager demos.
- Centering videos now works properly.
- Task manager login page no longer redirects to agent login page if the session is no longer valid.
- Session click history output when included in a node now also includes blank questions in the click path – substituting page titles instead (Tatiana).
- User-only text now hidden in subtrees when in agent mode (Kelly S.).
- Thumbnails overview now shows “auto-send” for auto-send email nodes.
- Sending email when the main tree was pushed LIVE and subtree was DEV now works as expected (Rachel D.).
- Fixed bug with Tree tag links not working after restart.
- Tree-node node selector now shows updated labels.
- Rendering engine faster for large trees with many variables (Lee S.).
- Shows stock apps in Settings/Code selector.
- Inviting authors always allows people to continue signup.
- Auto-send from email nodes no longer logs click text from the previous click.
- Email input form now displays wider on small devices (Christiaan).
- Edit, Copy buttons for auto-email nodes in Thumbnails overview now works as expected (Ian M.).
- Tree rendering now handles improper UTF-8 characters (Thai).
- DEV trees no longer show in Agent Portal search results (Angie H.).
- CSV import now handles UTF-8 characters properly (Emma V.).
- API speed updates for find_agent_sessions, find_tree_sessions.
- Editing code in pop-up Content Node editor now highlights properly (Matthieu).
- Empty webhook return no longer causes JS error.
- Tags now allow Hebrew characters (Tal).
- Now replaces #session# in email node templates for auto-send (Lasse).
- Phone number validation no longer fails if there’s a space inside the phone number.
- Retina display of screenshots now works properly in Wizard, Designer tutorials.
- New email form nodes now include session data.
- Email form node shows default text if no continuation text specified (for Legacy forms).
- Email form nodes properly show “please wait” when Send is clicked.
That’s it! Keep an eye on all of our product updates, and feel free to reach out with any questions, anytime.
Lots of small but helpful things have been added to Zingtree since our last updates post.
Everybody loves new features. Think of these items as an early holiday gift.
- Option to enable Single Sign-on (SSO) for authors.
- MailChimp App and integration.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide variables using a new Math webhook.
- &keep_vars_on_back=1 parameter. (for Shawn, Raj)
- New author timeout after inactivity option.
- Admins can set strong password requirement for invitees.
- Can upload and play videos via a private Zingtree server. (Customer requests for private videos.)
- New setting for right-to-left languages for easier editing.
- Logic/Document nodes now offer a “contains” string operation. (for Austin)
- New Search and Replace tool. Makes it even easier to edit text in your trees.
- &merge_vars_not_fixed parameter: Merge variables can now set data entry field defaults. (Pascal)
- Settings / Themes picker now has an option to place question area on top or bottom.
- Added Linked tree search to search through all trees and any linked trees via tree nodes. (Nick W.)
- Added auth_token parameter for webhook authorization – returns X-Auth-Token in Header. (Vivek)
- Temporary File Upload type – expires in 3 days. (Jim)
Updates to Existing Features
Some of our existing features we have made even more useful with some tweaks.
- New Text editor. Big Improvement for editing content.
- Single Sign-on now enabled for viewing session details.
- Reconfigured Single Sign-on setup interface.
- Now includes time zone UTC offset in location info variables as zt_tz and zt_tz_encoded. (Raj)
- Duplicate (Copy) Webhook option (Raj)
- App manager (Webhooks) now has more details, shows usage and which trees use each app.
- Uploaded images can now be viewed in the tree. (Karen D.)
- Added session info button to History in agent view, Zendesk Agent Scripting App. (Katie)
- Webhooks now get a variable node_id sent by default. (Raj)
- Added Tree Title: Show option to Publishing Links, Hosted, Advanced Options.
- Added disable_scroll option to embedded Advanced Options in Publishing Links tool.
- Create Tree now lets authors choose the tree’s language.
- Zendesk Agent scripting app now passing zendesk_tags as a variable.
- Session History stock webhook can now return plaintext data instead of HTML formatted data. (Gabe)
- Button click variables can now be assigned text.
And Bug Fixes:
Yes, sometimes even we make mistakes or discover edge cases nobody ever thought of! We do our best to fix these as quickly as possible.
- Ensures pop-ups always appear on top. (DT)
- API calls with a large amount of data no longer give an error 500. (Jay)
- Phone number validation now returns invalid if any characters or unusual punctuation is found in the number. (Jay)
- First button with zero value no longer resets the running total score to zero. (Steve H.)
- Now properly tracks form data from “back” buttons over logic nodes. (Mari)
- Going “back” properly refreshes nodes that contain form data variables.
- Email nodes now stay inside of containing iFrame after a message is sent. (Pinkesh)
- Going back over logic nodes keeps previous scores intact.
- Moved resources to new CDN due to them being blocked in China.
- Tab characters in data entry fields should no longer break webhook or Zapier calls. (Alok)
- Back button no longer removes form data items from the session. (Raj, others)
- Doesn’t use Chinese as default language if non-Chinese is used.
- Instant Preview in Edit Node now shows custom button styles properly.
- Mobile pop-overs now work properly.
- Allows special characters in merge variables. (Miguel)
- Missing scrollbar in Agent portal for IE 11 now shows. (Mark D.)
- Server auto-scaling tweaks to alleviate morning traffic spike congestion.
- Transfers account status to new organizations linked to original. (Arnel)
- Link colors in answer nodes using Default, Classic theme templates now show properly.
A majority of these enhancements were initiated from customer requests.
Got any suggestions for the rest of 2017, or to start 2018? Please share!
This summer has seen a lot of improvements to Zingtree – both new features and updates. As part of our commitment to transparency, here’s what’s been changed since our last updates post:
Updates and Bug Fixes:
- Update: Simple Overview shows tree ID in tree nodes
- Fix: Content Editor: Pasting images inside an ordered or unordered lists no longer creates a new list. (Mark W., Antonio J.)
- Update: New Browser tab graphics.
- Fix: Deleting nodes now properly deletes attached data entry fields, webhook calls. (Soren)
- Fix: Reimporting trees over previous tree now removes data entry fields from previous version. (Soren)
- Fix: Pressing ENTER in date form field (or other fields) no longer shows “no tree specified” error. (Jay H.)
- Update: Clicks and Usage report now includes info buttons for “Sessions Started” and “Sessions Clicked”. Because people have asked about this.
- Fix: Changing custom CSS theme no longer changes look of Overview Thumbnails buttons.
- Update: Cleaned up Zendesk Support app renderings for Q&A, All Data.
- Update: Search in a tree, then back, no longer fails in Zendesk Agent Scripting app.
- Update: Does date validation for specific formats (mm/dd/yy and dd/mm/yy). (Jay H, David R.).
- UI: Added Import button to My Trees, removed some import options from Create Tree.
- UI: More Tools is now organized better.
- Fix: Generating transaction receipt no longer fails if no time zone set.
- Fix: Tabs in gathered data no longer mess up Form Data report CSV export. (Mesam)
- Update: Added Copy Organization option. (Ted B.)
- Fix: Session Detail edit links now go to proper subtrees. (Lynne H.)
- Update: Cleaned up file upload UI in Edit Node.
- Fix: deploy/session-detail.php now shows questions / titles properly. (Alok)
- Fix: Add/ Edit/Delete Collaborators now only updates rights on trees in the current organization. (Ted B.)
- Update: added Tree ID and Node # to bottom of Agent Portal. (Sasha D.)
- Fix: Pasting images now locates images in clipboard. Works better with SnagIt.
- Fix: Empty fields (from visited nodes) now show up in form data. (for Ted B.)
- Fix: validating multiple emails or phone numbers in a single form now shows status just on proper entry. (Jay H.)
- Fix: validation badges for email, phone in placeholder mode now align properly. (Jay H.)
- Fix: Designer no longer shows new override classes in labels.
- Fix: Designer no longer incorrectly changes labels incoming to logic nodes.
- Fix: Send custom email stock webhook now sets the reply-to properly. (Ted B.)
- Update: Send Custom Email webhook can now handle multiple emails in the “to” field. (Ted B.)
- Fix: Phone (tel) and email field types now properly autoload values from merge variables. (Jay H.)
- Fix: Required fields with placeholders now have red asterisk and data entry field on the same line. (Jay H.)
- UI: Edit tree node hides start node, return node when tree selection is unspecified or “return to previous tree”.
- Update: Tree Node editor can now select a node to return to from a list.
- Update: WP plug-in version 4.0 now supports pop-up buttons, multiple embeds on a page, and fixes scrolling issues.
- Update: Creating a new organization can now automatically tie billing to existing org owned by Billing Admin or Super User.
- Update: Super User now can manage billing Admin tasks as well. (Marc)
- Update: Customer’s credit usage report shows Lookup Credits used (if any used).
- Fix: Address, city, state and zip field types now properly autoload values from merge variables. (Jay H.)
- Fix: Popup Overlay options now works properly when button text includes an apostrophe. (Albert D.)
- Fix: Send Custom Email technique now manages line breaks in multiline text forms properly. (Nicola)
Got any bugs or suggestions? Please let us know!
These past two weeks have been spent making Zingtree location aware, along with a few other things…
Here’s the latest:
- New: Collect Location Data option (geo / language).
- New: User signups set default timezone automatically from IP data.
- Update: Single Sign-on Service provider Entity ID now requires a URL. One less thing to go wrong.
- Update: Hides title and/or content area in panels mode if blank (for Josh).
- Update: Form data report field names are now output in sorted order. (for Sherry S.)
- Update: Compare trees tool has improved layout, can now toggle showing designer layout data.
- Update: CSV import and CSV export can now handle scoring variables and scored button clicks (for Katie P.).
- Update: Add Collaborator process has one less screen, more consistent with other processes.
- New: In the Zendesk Agent Scripting app, adding ::tag to the end of button text will trigger Zendesk tags to be sent when button clicked. (for Katie P.)
- Update: New spreadsheet import examples to showcase new features, including Logic Node import, scoring and more.
- Fix: Proper discount rate shows when ordering a new plan, buying bulk credits.
- Fix: Link Nodes opening in new tab restore last viewed node, remove the “please wait” thing (for Logan).
- Fix: Apostrophes in merge variable values are now handled correctly (Chris P.)
Got a suggestion for an update? Give us a shout!
Besides turning Scoring Nodes into more powerful Logic Nodes, we’ve done a lot of little improvements and fixes in the last 30 days. In particular, we’ve had a few requests for enhancing Data Entry capabilities.
Here’s what’s new:
- New: Logic nodes
- API: delete_form_data returns better error message if deleting already deleted form data (Jay H.)
- Fix: Link nodes now wait for session data to save before linking out. Makes API calls from linked node work 100% reliably.
- Fix: SSO URLs are now REST compliant (no & or ? characters) (Priya)
- New: Added browser_language built-in variable (Eric J.)
- Update: Logic node editor can set root node.
- Update: Tree nodes can be set as root node (Chris P.)
- Update: Only allows letters, numbers and underscores in tags. (Morgan A.)
- Update: Edit Content Node shows advanced options by default if tags or any other advanced option is set (Bill Z.)
- Update: Simple Overview shows node tags on each line (if they exist). (Bill Z.)
- Update: Link nodes now show a “please wait” message, in case new page is slow to open. Also improves email-session-info.php experience.
- Fix: No longer able to inadvertently create node #0 from Document Node editor. (James W.)
- Update: Tree search (and search in Zingtree FAQ) now shows node title and tag matches first. This gives more relevant results for tree searches.
- Fix: host-trees integration URL with a space in the agent name source= parameter now gives correct results (Juan C.).
- Update: Create Tree for Excel, Sheets options now includes direct links to Excel, Sheets example files.
- Fix: Blank lines in bulk agent submit no longer show an errant error message. (Allen J.)
- Fix: removed extra white space at the bottom of embedded trees (Josh S.). (Requires getting new embed code.)
- Fix: Now saves form data when jumping to a new tree and not continuing past the first node (Diana T.).
- Fix: Session List CSV export now uses local time.
- New: Session List (All Trees) Report (for Koltyn)
- Fix: Agent feedback button didn’t show or work properly in embedded trees (Morgan).
- Update: Button labels can now be 255 characters.
- Update: Increased database performance by moving to SSD storage.
- Fix: Now allows tags to be entered without having to press ENTER.
- Update: Default tag choices that appear in tag list drop down in Settings, My Agents are from all agents and trees, and only from current organization.
- New: Email and password field types now included in Data Entry Forms (Imran, Maximiliano)
- Update: Now supports “required” option for radio buttons in data entry forms (Imran, Diana T.)
- Fix: Tooltips now always appear
- Fix: Preview for authors with apostrophes in their name now works properly (Joe O’)
- Fix: Nopermalink now gets passed as a parameter for host-trees.php (Jenn V.)
- Fix: Uses https:// for hosting when going from https://zingtree.com/host-trees.php (Jenn V.)
- Update: SSO restriction is set by default for new trees if SSO is set up for organization (Jenn V.)
- Update: Better CSS for panels style tree rendering.
- Update: Spaces in search parameters sent to host-trees.php turn into underscores so tag matching can work properly (Jenn V.)
- Fix: Clicks and Usage report wasn’t showing true engagement due to using last click time.
- Fix: Empty scoring variables no longer cause JS errors when rendering trees (Bob H.)
- Fix: Emailed session transcripts from multi-tree sessions now get the proper questions before the tree jump (Travis A.)
- Fix: Webhooks with no returned data no longer make JS errors while rendering tree (Bob H.)
- Fix: Editing data entry fields – can now properly set Required attribute for multiline text fields (Bob H.)
- Fix: Launching trees from host-trees.php now properly passes along agent name (Juan C.)
- New: /api/get-history-data.php for use with updated Zendesk Support app
- Update: Agent feedback now includes link to session transcript (Katheryn P.)
- Update: Added last_click_time fields to get_session_data API call (Ricardo)
As always, let us know if you have any suggestions, comments, or brilliant ideas!
When we launched our new feature that allows you to create decision trees from Excel and Google Sheets, we had no idea this feature would be as popular as it has become. Some of our bigger clients, in particular, have really run with this and suggested a lot of great improvements.
Here’s what’s new with spreadsheet decision tree imports:
- Fix: Validates Tree IDs on spreadsheet import for tree nodes.
- Fix: Importing and replacing a tree keeps the tree’s settings intact (Elliott).
- Update: Spreadsheet import allows columns in any order (Elliott).
- Update: Spreadsheet import allows for a Tags column (Jamel).
- Fix: Errors in spreadsheet import won’t delete a previous tree if we’re replacing a tree.
- Fix: Importing Excel with line breaks in cells now works properly, retains line breaks (Charlie).
- Fix: Importing pasted spreadsheet data now saves the first iteration in Snapshots tool.
- Update: Spreadsheet import can now include TREE and LINK nodes (Elliott).
- Update: Exporting CSV tree from Overview/Simple now adds TREE and LINK node types into CSV data.
- Fix: Importing trees with button links to non-existent nodes now sets the link to “unlinked” (Elliott).
We’ve also done some other tweaks outside of spreadsheet imports:
- Update: Use “send_zendesk_button” as a node tag to send the button text to Zendesk as a tag instead. (Elliott)
- Fix: Agent Portal now shows merge variables for agent_name (Craig).
- Update: Added Agent List export to the My Agents page (Gene).
- Update: Added more error checks to Add Multiple Agents input tool.
- Update: Made show/hide tree name option more visible in iFrame Advanced Options.
- Fix: Copying a Gallery tree into a new account works properly.
- Update: Max attachment size in email nodes increased to 25 Mb (Dan B.).
- Update: Merge variables now has an option to retain plus characters (Chris).
- New: API call to delete session data from our servers for a particular session ID (Jay).
- Fix: email-session-info occasionally failed when data was entered right before sending (Alok, Craig).
Got a suggestion to make Zingtree better? Give us a holler.
In spite of the fact that Zingtree has some really great ways to build interactive decision trees, we still get a lot of requests for making the process of creating trees even easier. Many people are particularly comfortable working inside their favorite spreadsheet program, so we’ve created an easy way to use Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets to create new decision trees.
Once imported, the Zingtree editing and management tools can be used to refine and enhance your trees.
Here’s how our tutorial example appears in Google Sheets:
Details on this new feature:
Note that the same process for importing from Excel or Sheets can be used to import any tab delimited CSV file from any other program.
- Update: Added ##ALL DATA## as a template for showing a summary of all data entry fields collected (h/t Sebastian, Logan). Details here.
- Update: Added custom date range shortcut option to All Agents report. (h/t Allen J.).
- Fix: Changing organization in All Agents report works properly now.
- Fix: Restart function in older Zendesk Agent Scripting app installations now works properly again (Jamel).
- Fix: Editing nodes from subtrees while using Preview now works properly (Jamel).
- Update: Preview no longer automatically scrolls to the top of content.
- Fix: Scoring uses numeric value of variables, not string value (Matt B.).
- Update: All Agent report link added to My Agents page(Allen J.).
- Update: Agent report now has quick date links.
Can we make your tree creating experience even easier? Just let us know!
Being able to see how much time and money you are saving with Zingtree makes us all feel good and useful. So this past week we’ve been working with some of our customers to make reporting cleaner.
Here’s what’s new with reporting:
- Fix: All Tree Stats, Clicks and Usage and Popular Nodes now using same measurement techniques for engagement (Olivier).
- Fix: Session Detail report now shows duration from first click (Jane A.).
- Update: Added Agent Details to All Agents report.
Our APIs and integrations also needed a few tweaks to help solve some business problems for our customers. Here’s what’s new on the API side:
- Fix: Zendesk session ID stuffer leaves existing session IDs in place in case of error submitting ticket form (Iggy).
- Fix: Back button keeps data entry field values. (Chrispy).
- Update for Zendesk tag matching (Jorge).
- Update: /api/tree-tag-search.php now takes a minimum number of tags to match (Jorge).
- Update: Zendesk API now returns a blank instead of “false” if no session IDs present (Bryan M.).
- Fix: API for tree tag matching strips trailing commas from search string.
- Update: Tree tag matching now returns results in alphabetical order.
Got any great ideas? Chat us up!
One of our larger customers requested the ability to make a list box that can change depending upon a selection made previously while using a decision tree. If you are doing data collection, this can really simplify things for your end-users.
For a demo, we’ve built a tree that asks you to select a state in the USA, and from there shows a list of cities in that state. You can try the demo here.
This tree uses Zingtree Webhooks. Here’s how we built it:
- We created a PHP script for our state-to-city list box generator. This script receives a state code, and returns JSON with a variable called pick_a_city that contains an HTML list box to pick a city in that state. This will be the Webhook URL. It looks like this:
Substitute #state# with the 2 letter abbreviation for your state to see the results, or just use this example for Alaska.
- We created a new Webhook called “City/State Lookup” (under Account > My Apps) with the URL in step 1.
- The first node contains a list box with all of the states. The selection is stored to a variable named state. The only button in this node goes to node #2. The end-user view for node #1 looks like this:
- Node #2 calls the Webhook we created with the state variable from node #1. The Webhook returns HTML for a list box that replaces a placeholder in node #2 called #pick_a_city#. Here’s the content area for node #2:
Under Advanced Options, we tell node #2 to send a message to our City/State Lookup Webhook before it loads, like this:
- You can see the entire tree here.
- The PHP source code for the Webhook URL script is here.
- The URL for the Webhook is:
Need More Info?
Questions or suggestions? Just holler!
In the last days of 2016 and the first few days of 2017, while eating and drinking like everyone else, we also spent some time making Zingtree just that much better. It’s good karma to start the new year well, right?
Here’s what’s new for 2017 (so far):
- Update: Session List report now shows total time from first click, rather that tree launch. Also shows European time if in Europe, and removes unneeded columns (Ricardo L.).
- Fix: Apostrophes in user names no longer cause tree preview to fail (Lauren D’A).
- Fix: Tree names with quotes no longer break designer when being referred to in tree nodes.
- Update: Session Details report now shows timezone of organization’s super user (Tobias H).
- Update: Data Entry checkboxes now include option for scoring (Vanessa, David).
- Fix: Display order in Simple Overview works properly even after “set start node” is changed in Edit Node.
- Fix: All Agents report now includes just sessions with clicks, not ALL sessions.
- Fix: Sessions paused and restarted now always have have proper state for restarting.
- Fix: Fade transition effect for “all tree search” now works properly.
- Update: Hosted tree search for “node content” now searches through page titles and questions, as well as content area.
- Fix: Copy Node now clears clear tree cache (Arie S.).
- Update: Now using Google CDN for more reliable loading of key included files.
Got a new year’s resolution we can help you achieve? Send us a note!